Mike Davis Marks
Mike Davis-Marks has over 39 years experience providing leadership to small and large teams in challenging circumstances. Graduating in Systems and Management at City University in 1981, he
has an intuitive understanding of the systems approach and a good grasp of sociology and the social sciences.
Joining Ethos in 2012 as one of the core leadership team, he has responsibility for the Skills and Leadership business area. Prior to 2012, Mike enjoyed a 36 year career in the Royal Navy as a submarine commander. Highlights include:
- Service in 7 submarines and 5 surface ships in a variety of leadership roles and in a number of challenging circumstances, including surfacing at the North Pole (twice).
- Successful completion of the submarine command course, Perisher.
- A post graduate degree (MA) in Defence Studies at King’s College, London.
- Command of the nuclear powered, hunter killer submarine, HMS TURBULENT.
- Appointment to the British Embassy in Washington DC to provide international diplomacy between UK and US maritime communities.
- Leadership of the planning and implementation team for the International Fleet Review at Spithead in 2005, involving 171 ships from 36 different countries. For this achievement, he was awarded the OBE in the 2006 New Year’s Honours.
- Director of Public Relations for the Royal Navy and Royal Marines in Whitehall.
- Director of Recruiting for the Royal Navy and Royal Marines.
Outside of his naval career, he has become a qualified executive coach and neuro-linguistic programme (NLP) practitioner, is Chairman of the Junior section of United Services RFC based in Portsmouth and Chairman of the Portsmouth Cathedral Choir Association. He lives in Southsea with his wife Tracy and two sons Harry (15) and George (13), together with Pip, their mischievous Lakeland Terrier.