The world’s toughest street food competition is coming to Gunwharf Quays for the first time. May 26th – 28th will see some of the very best street food traders offer visitors the opportunity to sample everything from Peruvian ‘Sanguchons’, toasted buns loaded with Latin American flavours, to S’mores-filled Chinese steamed dumplings – yum!
Gunwharf Quays’ will welcome street food aficionados to the 2018 British Street Food Awards regional heats, with guests sampling flavours from across the globe before giving their feedback on their favourite dishes. Traders competing include London street food royalty, Ghetto Grilz, vegan-friendly Wolf and Guzzle, and Hampshire favourite, Bubble&.
Richard Johnson, founder of the British Street Food Awards, said “We are delighted to announce we will also be joined by prominent local chef, Jon Marsden-Jones. Head Chef at the Michelin Starred Black Rat restaurant in Winchester, Jon will be an integral part of the judging panel.”
Colin Wilding, General Manager at Gunwharf Quays, said “We are looking forward to transforming the Plaza this Bank Holiday Weekend to celebrate some of the best street food available in the South. The shortlist of traders competing represent some of the very best in our region, giving visitors to the centre a truly unique experience. This, alongside lots of new outlet stores and our restaurants, cinema and bowling alley makes Gunwharf Quays the perfect day out destination this May.”
The winner of the regional heats will win a place in the national finals in London, with the opportunity to represent Britain in the European Street Food Awards finals in Berlin.
2018 Street Food Awards – Regional heats
- Ghetto Grillz – London Bagel bar, famous for its ‘New York Reuben’
- Stack’s Souvlaki – Authentic Greek street food
- Suneli – Key influencers in Georgian street food
- ROK Kitchen – Freshly made Korean flavours
- Jah Jyot – 2017 Street Food Award finalists, authentic flavours of Punjab
- Wolf and Guzzle – Interactive, vegan street food
- Sangucheria – Traditional Latin flavours from Peru
- Dumpling, Dumpling – Chinese dumplings, with a host of inventive fillings
- Slow Food Truck – Polish/ European street food fusion
- Bubble& - Jazzed-up bubble and squeak
- Bunnyman’s Bunnychow (Monday only) – South African classic curry